I realized my last few posts have all been very healthy; and man and I'm so very sorry about that. It was never my intention to make you suffer through (delicious but) healthy food, especially when the posts trick you into thinking I'm a healthy eater. I eat well, but I don't eat well. To make it up to you, here is one of my all-time favorite snacks. This has always been a family favorite at parties, and is one of the main reasons we have such a hard time eating dinner after apps have been served.
Oh, it looks gross? Yeah move past it Buster Rhymes (That is my joking name for Busta Rhymes however a quick google search informs me there was a real athlete named Buster Rhymes. Shit.). Every single person who has been intimidated by this appetizer looks-wise has overcome their trepidation the second they tried this life-changing dip. So move past the fact that it doesn't photograph well and give this a try; your arteries will thank you (no they won't).
Serves: 15 as a party appetizer, 5-6 as serious afternoon snack
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 stick plain cream cheese
- 1 jar salsa - mild is the usual go-to, but I go medium when I'm feeling spicy. If you're a spice person go for something hotter but honestly I get a good kick from the medium (although I'm a weakling). Also, chunky or regular salsa but never ever cantina style salsa here! Makes everything watery and gross.
- Bare minimum one party size bag Fritos or Tostitos (more on that below), preferably 2 bags
- Let cream cheese soften by leaving on counter for 10 minutes, then cut into small cubes.
- Add cubes to large bowl along with jar of salsa, then blend with hand mixer on low until well-combined, where dip turns pink and very little cream cheese bits are still visible. Cover and chill in fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve with Fritos (scoops are a favorite here) or corn chips (Tostito Scoops are also a hot commodity).
There is a lot of controversy over how to serve this: I always go cold, but one of my best friends was horrified in college since her family always covered the final version in cheese and heated it in the over like a seven-layer dip. Either is amazing, so do what makes you happy! I'm a little too eager so 98% of the time I hop right in.
Cheers! Hope we're friends again.