...Open for discussion.
I recently made Flourless Chocolate Cake, and one of the ingredients I'd needed for it was unsweetened cocoa. Now, as soon as it's cold out I'm a huge hot chocolate fan (half because of the whipped cream half because chocolate let's be honest), but I usually reach for the delicious, nutritious (um, maybe?) Trader Joe's sipping chocolate. It is seriously "dat good dat good" - I think Wiz Khalifa would agree.
Anywho, now that I have some nice unsweetened hot cocoa I thought I'd go all out and make some homemade hot chocolate. It only felt appropriate to make this a play on my favorite non-alcoholic beverage - a latte - so I used my stovetop espresso maker and some Peet's grounds to make a little faux-spresso. Feel free to add/subtract whatever you want but you should really only be adding to this bad boy.
Serves: As many as you want bud! I made for myself so just multiply by your friends (imaginary or otherwise)
Total Time: 10 minutes
- Minimum 1 cup (really whatever will fit in your biggest mug) milk - 2% or whole or go home. Seriously.
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa (I had regular Hershey's but you could go anywhere g-free it's your world)
- 1/2 tablespoon specialty hot chocolate mix you have around (again, g-free but that's your only limit! I used TJ's Sipping Chocolate)
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- An appropriate amount of ground coffee for someone your age/size/level of exhaustion
- Whipped cream, chocolate shavings, chocolate syrup, whatever you want you're an adult!
- Start brewing that espresso! If you have a stovetop espresso maker add your poison and start brewing! Regular coffee machine? Knock yourself out! Keurig? Go ahead! True espresso maker? Be my friend?!
- In a pot appropriate to the amount of milk you're working with, turn your stove on medium. Stir milk occasionally.
- Once the milk is piping hot but not bubbling, stir in next five ingredients. Whisk thoroughly.
- Add espresso/coffee/oh you fancy huh to mugs.
- Pour hot chocolate mix over caffeinated selection in mug.
- Smother in whipped cream and additional toppings.
- Pull up an old Downton Abbey and feel sad that there's only one season left. But isn't that better than the show going off the rails? I guess so. But MARY.
What am I missing? Let me know if you can Pimp My Hot Chocolate even further!